Sleepless nights...

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sorry it has taken us so long to update on things.  Since bringing Griffin home this has honestly been my only free moment.  
Last Wed. I was so excited to bring him home, but I am not going to lie I was filled with some fear and nervousness thinking that we were going to be by ourselves.  You go from having him hooked up to monitors and nurses watching him constantly to putting him in a car seat and taking him home.  By the time we got him home the stress level was pretty high.  In the NICU he was eating every four hours and then sleeping almost all of those four hours in between.  But like any baby when you take them home somehow they never sleep like they do at the hospital.  Even though he was two weeks old it was like he was a true newborn because he had only been eating for a few days.  
The first night was tough.  He would eat and then just cry and we would have no idea why.  The crying is hard enough with a new baby, but when you have the added looking to see if he is turning blue it can set you over the edge!!!  And to be honest there were a few times where it did. 
 Each day though it has been easier to look at him just as a normal baby and not always looking to see if he is breathing or turning blue.  The days and nights have still been long and he can still get pretty fussy at times.  But I guess I would be fussy if every other time someone touched me it meant pain was coming.  So I think bit by bit he is getting use to the fact that when we mess with him it is just to change his diaper or his clothes.  Things are still intense at times and I have to be careful not to let my stress levels get to high, but hopefully each day it will be less and less.  
Please pray that we can get some sleep at some point.  And John goes back to work tomorrow, so please pray for me, there might be some tears.  We are so thankful for how God has worked in these past few weeks, but know that we have a long road ahead.  But right now I am just trying to take it day by day and there are times I am just trying to make it hour by hour!!!  

Thank you to all of you have been praying I can't tell you how much it has meant and how much we have needed it!!!  We will try to get some pictures up of him at home sometime soon.  

love you all.




2 comments:

Julia said...

Julia-mother of HLHS baby

I remember feeling like that, and it was only a few months ago. All that you're thinking is, what is is oxygen sats right now? I pray that the Lord gives you a peace about it. It will get easier, I hardly even think about Asher's heart condition!

Unknown said...

Hello Hinger Family!! Thank you for posting all these pictures and info. on this "blog", I am not on Facebook (kind of technologically in the dark ages I guess), but I have been thinking of you all constantly since I heard the news of baby Griffin. I finally emailed Auntie Bernadette who told me about this website. I am sitting here at work, trying to fight back my own tears, but am so thankful to hear you are all doing well!! He is beautiful, along with the other two of course. Take care, lots of love and prayers from your cousins...Alicia (Hinger), Jay, Drew and Winter! XO

 
hinger happenings