Reflections

Friday, April 8, 2011

A couple of days before Griffin was born I decided to do a search on what his name actually meant. The search kept showing that a griffin was a legendary, mythical beast that had the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. At first I thought, 'that's a pretty cool animal, who wouldn't want to be half lion-half eagle?' Then I realized that wouldn't work as a viable name meaning when Jody Zappia announces it for the parent-child dedication at Harvest. (that was an inside joke to all you harvesters out there). So I searched a little more and discovered that the name Griffin had a Welsh meaning and thanks to the wonders of modern technology I discovered that his name meant strong in faith. I found a great verse on faith and wrote it in my journal and prayed for him. The verse was from 1 Cor 16:13-14 it says "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." A few days later he was born and little did Amber and I know that it would be our faith that was going to be tested.


It has been a long journey with Griffin. As I sat and thought about this I decided to look for other verses on faith. I compiled a few and thought I would share some to encourage you in your faith as well.

Isa 7:9 - If you are not firm in faith, you will not be firm at all.

Heb 11:1 - Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Heb 12:2 - Jesus is the founder and perfecter of our faith

2 Cor 5:7 - We walk by faith, not by sight.

Gal 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

1 Tim 6:12 - Fight the good fight of the faith.

1 Peter 5:9 - Resist him (Satan), firm in your faith


There are many more but I thought I would just start with these. My faith has been challenged and I hope yours is too.

0 comments:

 
hinger happenings